Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Green Graffiti


click here - link

Edina Tokodi is an eco-minded artist who hopes to create more environmental friendliness in the midst of urban bareness.

In leiu of spray paint this street artist creates moss installations that have become the talk of the town in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Consisting of mossy animal figures and camouflage patterns, this art is “meant to be touched, felt, and in turn touch you."

For me, the reaction of life on the street is also very important. I am curious about how people receive them, if they just leave them alone, or if they want to, take care of them or dismantle them. This is what makes my work similar to graffiti, although I am searching for a deeper social meaning and a dialogue with memories of the animals and gardens of my past in a small town in Central Europe. I believe that if everyone had a garden of their own to cultivate, we would have a much more balanced relation to our territories. Of course, a garden can be many things.



No comments: